04 February 2005
posted by j at 2/04/2005 04:33:00 PM

Prologue: Am in the Healthy Lifestyle committee at work...what we do is to organise activities and such that promote healthy living amongst staff and students. First project of the year? Health screening for all staff by AH.

Setting: Signed up for the screening. Supp to do it today during my free period. Had to fast for 8 hrs before having the check, which meant no supper last nite and no breakfast this morning. Sigh. Do without food i can't. Had to take weight, height, body measurements and....BLOOD! SOB! Am scared of needles...

Climax: After taking my height, weight and measurements, i hurriedly sat down in front of a nurse in the white uniform (was told by my colleague to let the senior nurse take my blood. The junior ones are in blue..) and starting getting really nervous and tense. Dunno how i survived my BCG long time ago. The nurse complained that my vein was too fine. Made me exercise my arm till i felt weak. Inserted the needle. Hid my face and accidentally let out a whimper. My colleagues and the nurses looked at me in surprise. Some of the nurses even came round to pat my back and comfort me. The needle was in there for a LOOOOG time...."Your blood is not flowing out..." she said to the side of my head partially hidden by the piece of paper i was holding. Finally, someone said, "too long already, take out take out...later then take again." "WHAT??!"

My left arm was weak. Was told to go drink some hot water and then come down again. Started getting a lil woozy. Nurse's parting words.."Next time go and donate blood ...get used to it..." "Piang! I don't donate because i barely make the weight limit lor!" okok...that's only part of the reason why i don't. I'm scared of needles in me...

Went down again after my drink...felt nauseaus by then. Pricked my OTHER arm, the nurse did. Complained once again she cld not find my vein. Squeeze my fist i did...while hiding my face once more. Think i was famous in the room by then. Another nurse immediately came over and stood beside me patting my back and comforting me with soothing words. Tried to distract me also by asking questions. Wasn't too blind to that in spite of my fear.

Epilogue: Am one of the few with TWO plasters on my arms instead of one. All my students kept asking so many questions. I guess beige plaster on my chocolate coloured arms must be pretty obvious. Sigh. Left arm still hurts. Can't lift heavy stuff without feeling the 'suan-ness'. So useless, i am!
 
3 Comments:


At 11:01 PM, Blogger Alex

eek... needles... don't like them either tho i surprisingly took 3 jabs at one shot for cambodia trip... but i wouldn't give blood either... needle is huge... think it's actually called a catheter...

as for nurse not being able to find the vein, that happened to me in the army... switched from left to right arm... medic found the vein but watched as blood flowed out onto the table...

 

At 1:38 AM, Blogger j

eeuuww...can drip out like that meh??

 

At 10:27 PM, Blogger Alex

well, for blood donation that's what they do... catheter goes in, blood flows into the bag...

blood on the table formed a small pool...

catheter was meant for a drip... cos i had a high fever... took a nap, then when i woke up at night, i saw that instead of saline coming down the tube, blood was going UP cos saline pouch was empty...