20 October 2005
posted by j at 10/20/2005 03:34:00 PM

YES! Finally...marking days are over...although not forever..but still....a 2-month break from marking is pretty good already, don't you think? Not good to be too greedy ya?

Marking day ended yesterday. 3 marking days starting monday, so got to sleep in a little longer. No see students means less stress. I just realized how much i actually like doing admin work. Was just commenting on that to another colleague and he readily agreed. Somehow, it feels good when u can actually tick off the stuff you have completed on a checklist. I actually ENJOYED writing a list of mundane stuff i had to get done and ticking them off afterward as i got them done. Ha. Even stupid things like booking millions of buses for post-exam activities, writing remarks for report books, keying in MSG grades and doing up marking reports....hmm...sheesh.

Yesterday, i felt the most accomplished of all the days. i dutifully set to work the minute i stepped in to work and worked with feverish enthusiasm. Took longer than i thought to finish, but hey! When i left at about 2 plus, the rest were still around. I even managed to finish stuff that was due end of today. Felt even more accomplished because i managed to get some tricky calculations and IT stuff done right and was thus tasked to help others having problems. Heh. 'Humble' is so not my middle name right? Only downside is my tummy had to wait abit long to be fed. I have this bad habit of wanting to get everything done before i eat. Don't like to break the continuity. So it was around 3pm when i finally got my lunch, after a breakfast of vitasoy and crummy biscuits i gobbled down in hunger about lunchtime.

Am enjoying the break from teaching, i am. Met my students today after their long weekend, and just being in the class with them for an hour kinda drained me. Altho i kinda enjoyed it also in a sadistic way. Ha. Students have this strange conception that teachers LURVE them. Dunno why. One actually tried to get me to admit that its a privilege to teach them. PAH! Here's my response to her "It's a privilege and joy to come in here to teach us right??" - *Rolls my eyes*... "Pardon me while i vomit." Funny, this people.

Other nice thing that happened today...i'm starting to feel better about my job. That i'm actually not too bad at what i do. That's a good feeling. Like you're not so useless afterall. Today i asked my HOD which level of classes for English she would given me next year. Just out of curiosity. I wanted to request for sec 1 actually. Prefer younger students cos that age suits my teaching style better. Rather handle kiddy problems than complicated friendship and BGR probs. *shudder* Anyway, she said she hadn't decided and wanted to know my preference. Told her lower sec but she insisted that i take at least one upper sec, preferably an NT class, better still a graduating NT class. In dismay, i demanded to know why. I mean, ever since i stepped into this school i've had to teach graduating classes! Wasn't it time for me to take a break from graduating classes??? She said,"Because your grammar is quite good, you just need to improve your strategy abit."

Wat say coming from a strict person with limited praise, that's like a real compliment lor! =) Then i told her that i may not definitely stay the entire year so better not give me graduating class. Then she almost begged me to take at least 1 NT class. I was horrified.

"NOOooooooo.....Dun want la! Why every year kena NT?? I dun want....why me?? Isnt there anyone else??"

She said no.
"Whaddaya mean no one else?? So many English teachers, can't someone else do it?? How about V? She's fierce!"

"She volunteered to do O levels next year lah..."

"The REST leh??"

"They can't handle the NT students lah.."

"??? Then i can MEH??"

"YAaa...."

Hmm. New revelation. Strange. But feels good. Heh.
 
4 Comments:


At 6:29 PM, Blogger Alex

Wah! You must be one tough lady! Then again, you do have a fierce expression. Haha!

It really is cool when you realise you're good at something. I hope you have many more such realisations. ^_^

 

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Gaizhi

Why am I not surprised?

 

At 3:46 PM, Blogger j

alex>> well...can't help it if God made my face fierce...

Yeah, it's kinda nice. Must remind myself to be humble. At the same time, i do need this sort of encouragement. At least i wun feel so useless all the time.

gaizhi>>? nt surprised about wat? my fierce expression?? heh... so i scare u too? hee

 

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Gaizhi

Not surprised about your new revelation. I'd like to think it's not easy to find things that would rankle me.