26 October 2005
posted by j at 10/26/2005 01:48:00 PM

Just when i thought things were gonna be more relaxed now that students are no longer having lessons...sigh.

Have been busy all week with post exam activities...bringing them bowling and tmr bringing them to the Healthzone. Today was really stressed up cos we were conducting a Health Quiz for the restless students. It didn't help that my colleague who was supposed to be in charge of this event totally forgot about it, and we had to cover for her. The whole of yesterday was spent rushing through daiso trying to find suitable prizes and then rushing back to school to rack our brains for quiz questions and putting them on powerpoint. No thanks to that irresponsible teacher who left everything last minute. As a result, i ended up with a huge headache towards the end of the day. Been getting headaches more and more ever since i started this job. I used to be able to get rid of the headaches by either sleeping it off or bathing. But now, even panadol doesn't help. Yesterday was esp bad because after waiting in vain for the headache to go off by itself, i finally gave in and took a panadol only to find myself feeling NAUSEA on top of that headache. Then cold chills came and i started to feel really sick. Retired to bed at 8pm as a result. Am so glad i was back to normal when i woke this morning. But then the students had to drive me nuts. Sigh.

My committee (The Healthy Lifestyle Committee), has got to be the least supported committee in the entire school. We were stuck with the entire secondary 1 and 2 levels...that's 16 classes....with absolutely no help from the other teachers who had totally disappeared from sight. Any idea what unsupervised kids after exams are like???! I felt like i needed 2 more heads to bark and glare at misbehaving students while keeping score of the quiz AND giving the right answers at the same time! There are only 4 of us in the comm. 1 was emceeing, 1 was clicking on the laptop, 1 was dunno-where, while i had (stupidly) planted myself right in the middle of rowdy boys trying to keep them quiet AND keeping score of the quiz AND providing answers that my emcee friend was unsure of. Never have i ever needed more heads than today.

Not for a long time, also, have i felt so much like ....like....STOMPING on the head of a student like you would on an ant!! This INSOLENT PEST OF A BOY had the NERVE to be DOWNRIGHT RUDE to ME!! If i hadn't any self-restraint i would have slapped him all the way to TIMBUCTOO! ARRRGH!! If there's anything i can't stand, it's rudeness from students!! I gave him no peace for the next hour. hmph. After which i talked to him nicely with patience that must only have come from God. Seriously. I think he was listening to me. Either that or he's a really good actor. Sigh. These NT students ah... really exhausting. Anyway, i severely warned him against being rude to me, or teachers for that matter.

Other thing i did today...confiscated a whole lot of loot. heh. After exams the students really all boh zeng hu...(no government)!! I mean, since when is it alright to play card games, read books, listen to mp3 and play guitar (??!) while a competition is going on??? So i just went around being a reverse Santa Claus, taking all those things away...ended up with like 5 storybooks (chinese and english), 2 stacks of cards, 1 mp3 player and a guitar! cool huh? Kinda fun actually =)

Next few days are gonna be real hectic. Tmr i've got to meet parents all afternoon till evening. Fri there's a school function till night. And next week i've gotta worry about my work review, many many reports which take very long to write, and skits and mimes to write for my cambodia trip...oh, and there's volleyball training too. Sigh.

Thanksgiving tho, for my colleague Simon, for kindly agreeing to take over my duties in december so that i can go for the cambodia trip. Am so grateful to him for agreeing so readily. I mean, his replies were "Consider it done.", "No prob.", "what am i here for? Sure." So nice to have christian colleagues like him =) God is so good. Am noticing that every year, He is bringing more and more christian colleagues into the school. The new vp that just came in is apparently christian too. My HOD also. Oh and btw, SOMEONE is leaving soon... heh. Can't say out who tho. Those who know me would prob be able to guess. Can't be too careful about what i say on blogs these days man...

oh, and would those with good memories pls remind me that there ARE medicines that i'm apparently allergic to? Discovered them this year. All along, every time i'm required to declare my drug allergies, i've always put "None that i know of". Perhaps that's cos i've always been pretty healthy and never had to take much medication. This year however, i've found out that i'm allergic to a certain type of cough mixture, and some muscle relaxant called Anarax. Was really scary. Started to get heart palpitations in the middle of the night on Mon i think. Had problems breathing and couldn't sleep cos my heart was racing. By the time i fell asleep from exhaustion, it was time to wake up. Felt so tired and stoned the next day. And my hands were shaking as tho i had taken drugs. Not a good feeling man.

Anyway, congrats to those who made it past my rambling above and gotten down to this line. I'm done with my grandmother stories at long last. =) Till my next rambling...