11 November 2005
posted by j at 11/11/2005 01:22:00 PM

Had a talk with my HOD yesterday. Think i haven't really heard what management really thinks of me. One, because i don't really care what they think, in a way. Two, because my previous HOD never discussed such things with me in the course of the 2 years i was under him. So anyway, we discussed some of my strengths and weaknesses in the context of work and i was a lil surprised at what she said.

She said that my weakness is that i'm too contented with what i have, and lack a certain ambition to do more. She's worried that new teachers will come in and do better than me because as it is (in their opinion), i'm only performing slightly above the minimum expectation. Meaning, that i'm doing everything a teacher should be doing, but i'm not doing above that because they expect me to volunteer for stuff and be in this or that committee. Thing is, i'm not interested in being leader or to be in as many committees as possible, or to make a lot of noise (which some do) in order to get those higher up to notice me. In fact, i'm very happy where i am, hidden in my little corner and being unnoticed by most. I really am. And while i'm surprised that she chose to use the word 'contented' (cos i never think of myself as contented), it is in a way, true. I have no ambition whatsoever in the work place. I just want to get whatever needs to be done, done. So that i can go off to either rest, or work on something else. Cos i do have many things in church to worry about or do. I have meetings, bible study, cell group, exercise classes, vocal classes, tennis, badminton and loads of other stuff to attend too. I can't afford to center my whole life and effort on work only. But then the reality of things is that the management is just gonna expect more and more from me because i'm supposed to be getting more experienced. And if i don't give them what they wanna see, i'm gonna be deemed incompetent because i'm not doing enough by their standards. How?

Maybe this is just not meant to be my career.

My question is this: Why do you have to be in committees and volunteer to do extra stuff (which often may not be related to the academic nor moral well-being of the child) in order to be considered competent or good at your job? Why is being good at what you are supposed to be doing, not good enough and not deserving of any credit? In other words, it seems to me that i can be a lousy teacher in the classroom, one who cares nuts about whether students live or die, but as long as i volunteer for extra stuff and look busy and enthusiastic, i can 'perform' and be promoted? Is that how certain leaders get to where they are? Ok...i should have said questionS...not question.

I'd be lying if i said i wasn't disappointed or slightly discouraged.

The bright side of it all i guess, was that i sincerely believe that my HOD believed i could do better. She said that she knows i'm competent in my work and that i have enough subject mastery to do a good job. It's just that i'm too contented with my lot. Bottomline is, she wants me to try and stick my neck out abit more next year. Sigh. Other weakness she mentioned was that i need to think about more ways/strategies to teach effectively. Which i agree with. Because personally, i think that i'm a boring teacher. It's usually just the whiteboard, the marker and me. The boring trio. Only thing interesting about me is probably my facial contortions, high squeaky voice and the element of unpredicatability in my class. They never know when i'm going to do what. Aside from that, my teaching is....BORING.

On a good note, she did mention my strengths as well. She said my english is good. Which is why she wants me to do Express students from now on, and not just NA and NT. She knows also that i drill my sec ones very hard on the basic grammar rules, which is probably why she acceded to my request for sec one classes next year. The other strength she mentioned was my classroom management. Apparently this is something which is obvious to all the Heads. I have no problems making sure my class listens to me when i teach. I guess this is a perk i need. I need encouragement a lot, i find. It is, to me, what sunlight does for a flower. Heh. Hence, sunflowers. But seriously, as i mentioned to H last night, i think classroom management is plain commonsense. How some teachers can continue talking while the class talks is baffling. The logic eludes me. To me, it's plain and simple. I talk, you listen. You talk, i don't talk. What for? Waste my time and energy. Sure, maybe some students like you because you are lenient. But....DUH??!

Here's what some of my students told me with regards to classroom management...

Cher, we like Mr D, cos he talk...we oso talk...


Seriously, would YOU consider that a compliment if you were Mr D?

Had another talk with some other students about a really nice teacher. I was reprimanding them because they did so badly in one of their subjects. I asked they why they don't put in the effort when their teacher has been so nice. Just doesn't seem fair to him. And while they agreed that he was nice, they also said he was TOO nice. And then it occured to me that students ARE actually sensible enough to realize when teachers being nice isn't everything. In fact, they pretty much admitted that they needed to be scolded in order to maintain order to learn. The irony is, they weren't sensible enough to discipline themselves to behave and learn in class while Mr Nice Guy was teaching. In the end, they gave up on that subject altogether. Almost every single one of that class. Actually, i'd like to have tried my hand at that subject... Think there's this rebellious streak in me that makes me wanna try what others couldn't manage. So while this class admitted to me that they didn't like me scolding them, they also admitted that it was good for them because it made them pay attention. And they really did put in effort for their exams. Well, outsiders who don't know them wouldn't think they looked like they put in effort. But for ppl of their character and attention span, i think they did their best =)

Overall, i think i'm pretty pleased with the past year. Most of my classes did pretty well, especially my form class. SO proud of them!! Here's their Mean Subject Grade by class...the lower the better.

1A - 2.75
1B - 3.18
1C - 3.95
1D - 4.1
1E - 3.9

Well, it may not seem fantastic to you guys but for me it's good enuf. I teach the 2 tail-end classes you see. 1E is my form class. Tail-end classes are famous for being problematic most times. It is kinda related to how well they do academically also. But my 1E performed better than even the C class in English!! I'm so proud of them! Also, most of them will be promoted to better classes next year. I even have some going to 2B and 2C next year. Less than half the class will be staying on in 2E =)

Out of curiosity, i went to check up the MSG for the class i taught last year. I was given the second NA class out of two classes in that level. They are grouped by classes according to their PSLE results you see. So the second class, my class, would be the weaker students academically. Anyways, in English, they did better than the other class in the same stream and level even tho they are not as good in English! Even the expectations that we had for 1F was lower than for 1E...

See...

Target MSG Mid yr MSG EOY MSG
1E 3.5 5.2 4.8
1F (my class) 4.0 5.2 4.6

Yay... so happy for them...=) So the scoldings weren't entirely in vain. Even now, many of them stop to greet me and say hi. Really like that class.

More ramblings when i start my brain engine again...=)
 
4 Comments:


At 1:55 AM, Blogger min

those thoughts went through my mind too...i just want to be a good teacher. a good classroom teacher. one who can teach. one who does more than just teaching that subject. one who instills the moral values God calls us to teach our children. one who teaches them to treat one another with respect, to do unto others as they would unto themselves.

is that not enough?

to the world...it's not.

the world expects us to be MORE than that...or even to be something else at the expense of being what a teacher ought to be.

a HOD can be a lousy teacher, but a good manager, supervisor, motivator, planner...

so they get more recognition, higher pay, and are deemed more important...in the eyes of the world.

but they get to do a lot of other stuff. they don't really get to teach as much. grades get to them. they have LOADs more paperwork.

many times, i think...i'd rather just stick to my worksheets, whiteboard and screaming at the kids.

they won't fire you if you are a good teacher. the students will appreciate a good teacher. they will learn well if you are a good teacher.

you can choose one or the other or kill yourself trying to be both.

question is...are you willing to live with less chances of promotion, less recognition, less bonus, poor and inaccurate work evaluation...?

well...just my many cents' worth...hope it makes sense...just what went through my mind when i was going through similar thoughts last time...

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

dearie...ultimately, what the world think and what the world says and what the world demands of us may make us troubled, uncomfortable, irritated...it's injustice!...but it's ultimately what God thinks that matters.

i think it's great that you're seeing fruits of your labour...shiok right?

 

At 10:59 PM, Blogger Gaizhi

Why am I not surprised? Again.

Same sentiments there with you and Min. But I believe we can do both, by God's grace.

"Classroom management is plain commonsense" ??? Can you do your friend here a favor and transfer some of that sense? Big problem area for me, it is.

There are A LOT of activities you can do for English to make it interesting for students. Remember the newspaper articles I told you? We sure did had fun. You love to sing. Can easily incorporate songs into your lessons.

 

At 12:19 AM, Blogger j

min>>sigh... at this point i'm not even sure what i should do in terms of career. Somehow, it seems strange, but i'm ok with not getting promoted fast, with less recognition etc...but i'm not ok with being deemed as incompetent simply becos i dun do the extra stuff they deem impt, but i dun. Sigh. Guess its something i have to continue to struggle with and hope that maybe one day it may change for the better?

Thanks for the encouragement dear=) And yes, it feels good to see the fruits, to know that i have not worked in vain =)

gaizhi>> Can we do both? While i know that nothing is impossible with God, at the way things go, i dun see how i can produce that extra time and energy to do the things that management expects me to do, on top of my workload as well as church commitments. Really very heavy leh... But then, i guess so it's all about priority. And the truth is, i really dun place so much importance on things which i feel are meant to 'add badges' for the school. To me, all these mean nothing, especially if the students have declining moral values. And i value the time i spend outside of work doing church stuff, exercising and simply spending time with close frens. These may be considered luxury time and unnecessary, but to me, they are essential.

Hmm...why is it a problem? You dun have problems with students talking in class while you are talking? Or you dun like scolding ppl? maybe one day i'll share with you the kinds of interesting punishment we subject our kids to...haha..

Singing? Hmm..interesting...needs a lot of thought tho. Most of them can't really hold a key tho...heh. Can't rem what happened with the newspaper cuttings...can u jog my memory? only have a slight recollection...

 

At 1:52 AM, Blogger Gaizhi

Someone once said," Teaching a child skills without moral values is like educating a beast." And I concur.

We serve God first and foremost in our schools. When we fulfil the demands of our HODs we are doing it as unto God. As long as these demands dun contradict God's laws we are expected to do them well as God's people.

If we put God first in our lives and maintain the link with Him He will grant us the strength and wisdom to do well in all areas of our lives. He will grant us favor with our HODs who will be pleased with our work.

Yes, time is a limited commodity. The trick is then to make better, more efficient use of it. It may require some sacrifices here and there. But if some things need to go, they just have to go.

Life is a zero sum game. One just can't have something more without giving up something else. And I'm sure there are things in our lives that we can do without, and letting go of these things pleases God too.

There is no one sure way about it. Each of us takes different pathways with God. Keep close to God and he will lead you through. God placed you here for a purpose. He will not leave you hanging till you fulfil His purpose for you for Him. Lean unto Him, you must.

Yes, it irks me to the core each time I have to scream and shout at students, which is very often.

Not newspaper cuttings. We were asked to make one newspaper page in pairs. Most of us did some orbituaries of classmates. I did a star signs forcast.

Singing. I actually drafted a lesson plan in my mind for use with a P4 class during an observation that never came.

(1) Choose a song --- "12 days of
Christmas"
(2) Play the song, asking students
to remember the tune.
(3) Change the lyrics --- explain
use of words and need to take
into account syllabus(es) with
notes and rhyming.
(4) Sing new song.
(5) Students to write their own
lyrics in groups.
(6) Groups to perform their song.
Marks to be given for lyrics
and performance (dance, props
etc)

Hope it does give you some ideas...