23 April 2007
posted by j at 4/23/2007 10:30:00 AM

Time after time, I'm confronted with the same issues in people around me. Why does it happen? Why do people succumb? There must be a reason why more and more people are falling into it, despite knowing that it's not what God intended. And the pattern is always the same. Strong emphatic 'No way!' in the beginning and clear about God's intent, then giving in slowly...becoming confused....no longer having a clear or strong stand. Towards the end, it's just "I'm praying hard that God will change the situation...". What will happen at the end I don't know....

But isn't it true that God didn't intend prayer to be a way for us to change the situation? Isn't prayer really about God slowly changing us and our perspectives on things? So then, by 'resorting' to prayer to 'force' God to make things go our way, are we forcing God into a box?

Perhaps this sounds like I'm being judgemental. Maybe at some point of time I was. Now, it just makes me wonder. Why? Am I getting a stronger dosage of indirect 'hits' from people around me? It's beginning to feel like the norm. Years ago, I remember talking to Ps Eric about this. Back then, it wasn't this bad. So when he warned me about the impending trend, I didn't take him seriously and brushed it off. Now, I realize how wise he was in pre-empting this situation. And he had the intention to do something about it, just that he had to go off for his sabbathical. Sigh. I miss Ps Eric. Miss talking to him when I have questions and problems. Miss his corniness even.

Maybe one day it'll be my turn. At this point I hope not. But can one really say for sure? Can I say that I'll always stick to my stand and never give in? Ps Eric was right. It gets tougher as the years go by. So is it just about age or is it about softening of christian principles and values the longer we are soaked in the world?

(p.s. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. Just want to voice out some thoughts and have no intention of hurting anyone who might be reading this.)
 
3 Comments:


At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

if it really happens to u, u'll know u'll get a whack fm me. at least it's a gd fren there to steer u bk, but when u're in the situation, u may not like me anymore.

and... WHEN ARE U VISITING????!?!?

 

At 10:36 AM, Blogger j

wah...u're so smart...u know what i'm talking about??

erm, well, i'm more free on weekends these days..but u guys not so free right?

I also wanna see gabe! (and you of course..) I saw the video...SOOOooo cute....=)

 

At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

of cse i smart *chehhhh* haha

wkends also can la. can arrange one. just call.