04 May 2007
posted by j at 5/04/2007 11:18:00 AM

Well they're not actually my form class. Just one of my English classes. They're one of the most dodo amongst my classes lah. Sometimes I dunno whether to laugh or cry.

Today, out of the goodness of my heart(of course, I am also paid to teach them...), I taught them a vocab word - SPARSE. It appeared in one of their comprehension passages, so I asked them if they knew what it meant. As expected, they didn't. So I proceeded to explain. Basically told them that it just meant that there was very little of something and that it's usually used on things that are kinda scattered. It's normally used in the case of hair or grass. Of course, there would be others but I didn't see the need to explain in such full detail. I'd be thankful enough if they could remember what it meant.

Anyways, I always find it helpful to give examples with new words I teach them. I feel it helps them remember better. So I proceeded to ask them cheekily, "Which teacher do you think has SPARSE hair?" teeheeheee....All sort of names came out. Well, actually, there were basically two male teachers they pointed out. Mr O and Mr S. But mostly Mr O. Then after some giggling and joking, we went on to other questions.

10 min later, who should walk past the class but......MR O!!! The minute he started plodding past our classroom, all the heads followed him, one person shouted,"SPARSE!!" and the whole class roared with laughter. MAN! I WAS SOOOOO EMBARRASSED! Crap. Now I regret teaching them that word. After a long time, their sniggering finally subsided. But just when I thought it was over, Mr O walked past the classroom yet again! Of all days, he had to choose TODAY to walk past our class twice! I don't understand it. It's NEVER happened before. Soon as he came into view a second time, the whole class roared with laughter yet again. GEEZ! Surely he'd find it strange that our class was laughing everytime he came by??