26 July 2007
posted by j at 7/26/2007 08:27:00 PM

Yesterday's musing stemmed from something I often hear christians say when asked about the prerequisites to finding a life partner. One of the top priorities (whether we really mean it or say it because it's the right thing to say is another issue altogether) christians mention is "Oh, my life partner must be a christian...". Which brings me to another thought...What's a christian? The answer is no longer an absolute you know. It's not a clear black and white answer. Especially not in Singapore, where being a christian is easy. Things would take a sharp turn if we were christians in a country which persecuted christians zealously because of our faith. Only then would the true meaning of being a christian stand out in its purest form. Right now, many define christians as simply people who go to church, go to church somewhat regularly, go to church on special occasions, or even people who once went to church but now no longer. Many also profess to be christians simply because they believe in God, or merely believe there is a God. But what this God is like, what He does, what His nature is...all these remain a mystery...unfamiliar and irrelevant to life at present. Frankly, and logically if I may add, it actually makes no sense to believe in something you do not know. What is the basis of the belief then? Isn't it no different from gambling? Just place your bets and hope for the best. One number is no different from the rest.

So maybe that's why many christians compromise in this area of our lives - relationships. Or love, as we call it. We say we want christian spouses, but when it comes to the crunch, we'd take whatever catches our fancy and makes us feel good. Especially when loneliness sets in, or when our clocks go tick-tock. I'd much prefer, I think, to say that I'd like someone who loves God - the same God I love. Not just a christian (sounds so technical and formal), but a person who loves God. (At this point, I'd like to admit that until recently I'm also 'guilty' of being one of those whose prerequisite for a spouse is for him to be a christian, and perhaps not quite meaning it very sincerely. Sorry God...)

Anyways...this train of thought then brought to mind the all-too-familiar-phrase "Love me, love my dog". My brain works in mysterious ways. I've no idea how I even jump from one vague idea to the next. Ask the Maker. Then I thought, "Hey...in my case it'll be Love Me? Love my God...." At which I started chuckling to myself. (Ok fine I'm weird) Then upon further musing, I decided that even that wouldn't cut it because it's not right for someone to love me first then love my God. The order is just wrong.

You know how we often think about how unlovable we are? How we often wonder how anyone could ever love and accept us, the imperfection in us? Well, I don't know about you, but I definitely do. Very often. And then I think, it really makes more sense for my someone (and your someone, and his someone, and her someone...well, you get the idea) to love God first, and in so doing, be able to love me and things/people around me that make ME me. It all starts from Him.

Cecilia, my bible teacher, always says Love God, Love God's people, Love God's Word. That is what a christian's life is about.

(yes i am aware i digress...that's what blogs are for ain't it? I'm no Mr Brown...)