26 July 2007
posted by j at 7/26/2007 08:26:00 PM

Two days ago, I was listening to Michael Buble's Call Me Irresponsible. And as I was listening to the words, I realised that almost all, if not all, of the songs were about love. And in particular, it seemed that one of the themes that stuck out about love, was about control or possession. On one hand, this might sound negative. Afterall, how many countless examples of control freaks have we heard of, as well as experienced or witnessed scary encounters of over-possessiveness coming from people we're close to? But what I started thinking about was why this was so. Why do we react this way when it comes to our loved ones? Even to the extent that we no longer act with love towards them - the irony of it all. Why did God create us this way? Is it even from God?

I think it's natural to feel a sense of possessiveness. And I'm referring to love between a man and a woman in particular. (It is a little unnatural otherwise, but then again that's subject to debate. Here I'm simply voicing my two-cents' worth) God created Man to be one-woman men and one-man women. Even though the Bible records instances of great men who had more than one wife, it does not mean that that was what God intended. We were created to give our whole self to only one person. So when this one person that we have committed ourselves to, seems to show indications of no longer being committed to us only, that's when all the negative behaviour manifests and rears its ugly head. Hence giving 'love' a bad name. No wonder people say there's a thin line between love and hate. No wonder so many crimes are being committed in the name of love. It IS true that most crimes are either committed for money or for 'love'.

Ok, so I'm rambling...what's my point? Actually I'm not sure if I even wrote this with a point in mind. Hmm. I do have a disclaimer however. I'm NOT saying that all this possessiveness and excessive need for control is God's fault. I'm only saying that He created us to be one-woman men and one-man women. And that could account for why people feel the sense of possessiveness when it comes to their beloved. BUT this does not justify the barbaric or aggressive or unreasonable behaviour that stems from people's inability to control their thoughts and actions. At the end of the day, the tragedy and drama and cruelty comes from US, not God. Because we allow our sinful selves and desires to rule our thoughts and actions, rather than choose to think holy thoughts and act in ways that would please God instead of grieve Him.

You know, just as in the Bible, life would be much simpler if only we were more faithful creatures. Both to God and to our spouses or future spouses. We were never meant to love more than one.

Two verses which spoke to me in the course of the past week, and which I've committed to memorizing and practising is Philippians 4:8-9.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."