04 August 2007
posted by j at 8/04/2007 09:25:00 PM



Last Wednesday, on my way to a briefing, I made a quick pitstop at this place...


These days, I've been having bouts of reminiscing. Reminiscing about childhood times and things/people/places characteristic of those times. I'm not all that fond of new stuff, you see, technology and everything modern. Though, to be frank, I do enjoy the comfort and convenience which all these bring.


I first walked into this old-school bakery with A two saturdays ago after a jog. I was struck by how much it reminded me of the bakeries we used to frequent back when I was real young. When I was still staying in my first house. It didn't have all that many things. No fancy names, no large variety, no posh equipment. Even the trays for picking stuff that you want to buy are in fact baking trays...the kind that goes into the oven together with pastries and cakes. Ha...


I was very tempted to buy an egg tart then. It looked so much like what I used to eat YEARS ago. I hardly ever see this pastry on egg tarts anymore. Nowadays, almost every confectionary I step into makes egg tarts with flaky pastry. The kind that usually goes with portugeuse egg tarts. Don't really like that. Its too.....flakey...heh. I had just eaten at that point of time, so I refrained from getting it. Rationalised it to myself...saying that it wasn't far and I could always pop by to get it when I felt like it. So that's just what I did. I went there in search of the egg tart I'd been thinking about =P


Much to my dismay, I was told that they only sell egg tarts on weekends. Was very disappointed but I settled for a cream puff instead (actually what we always call cream puff is in fact custard puff). That was the NICEST CREAM PUFF I'd had in ages. Seriously. The custard was cool, light and not too sweet. And the pastry was fresh and went with the custard PERFECTLY. Mmmm... Wish I had a picture to show you. I gobbled the thing up in like 4 bites! A lot of the cream puffs out there have lousy pastry. The kind that's so light and airy that there's hardly any taste and feels like paper in the mouth. THIS one is heavy enough to be substantial and yet not sickeningly so. I like. Should have gotten 2 or more man...


Yesterday, I went back there for more...but it was sold out!!! Arrghh... Everytime I go there with something in mind, I end up buying something else cos whatever I want is out. Bleah. Anyway, these are what I bought...



FYI, that's a beef pie, a blueberry muffin and a custard tart...mmm....=) Getting real greedy these days.. =P

 
1 Comments:


At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

this reminicising thing... sign of growing old...