09 August 2007
posted by j at 8/09/2007 12:34:00 AM

I can't, for the life of me, remember what the other two things are that I wanted to post about last Saturday!! Sigh. Only remember one of them. Anyway...I'll just give it my best shot. Not sure if these were what I had in mind initially, but...whatever lah... =P



2) I had a good time after the visit to the hair salon. Nice alone time with my sight and my thoughts. Wandered about AMK hub trying to take in all the sights and sounds. It's been a long time since I had contact with this facet of Singapore. For a long while, consumerism for me has been somewhat limited to the likes of Orchard Road and the heartland arms of Capitaland. (who is, incidentally, rapidly expanding its area of influence and upgrading its caverns of wealth at an alarming rate) Sure, AMK hub is hardly what one would call "back-to-the-basics", but there were many things which reminded me of my childhood and what I grew up with. And I realised how much I miss all that, and how much of a pity it is that children of this generation would never get to know or understand what things were like in the past. Little, apparently insignificant things, which would hardly make a difference in any tangible way. But that one would probably sorely miss if it was indeed present in one's life at some point of time. Strangely, it actually felt good buying sotong balls and fishcake from a stall that was NOT Old Chang Kee. Even though they tasted really weird. (And you would think that it is almost impossible to go wrong with basic stuff like that. I mean, isn't fishcake manufactured by some factory producing such stuff in masses???) I also had a strawberry shake, whose milk component quite obviously tasted like condensed milk. It was really weird, but ticklishly so. I must have been in a really placid mood that day, because I honestly found all these funny and refreshing. I even finished the condensedmilkshake!



And so, while I continued with my wandering, holding my weird-tasting food and drink, I came across an interesting sight...





Think it was linedance they were doing. But I wasn't sure if they were promoting some event or whether it was a regular programme they had for interested participants. I found the whole thing really cool. There were SOoooo many aunties, and many of them looked like they were really enjoying all the 'cha cha-ing', swaying hips and all. It was quite a sight. Think I looked odd tho, trying to take these pictures surreptitiously. I wondered if I would be this active when and if I reached that age, and whether I'd be oblivious to all the people milling about. I wondered also, what thoughts were going through the heads of the lady participants. What drove them to participate in the first place. Was it just for fun and exercise?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*yawn*...ok, gotta stop now. Sleep beckons... the last instalment tomorrow perhaps...=)