09 August 2007
posted by j at 8/09/2007 10:54:00 PM

One of my 'spoils' for the day last Saturday was chancing upon a photography exhibition at AMK central. The exhibits probably weren't world-class or taken by those professionals (but then I wouldn't bet on that, so don't quote me), since viewing the exhibition was entirely free, and taking photographs of the photographs wasn't a crime! It was like, free-for-all man! Everyone's handphones came out! I felt quite guilty. But then I looked all around for any signs which might say that photographing the exhibits is a crime or something, but there wasn't any in sight! And all the aunties and uncles milling about were just blatantly and shamelessly taking EVERY photo! Below each exhibit was a famous saying taken from some religious text. It could be Hindu or Muslim or Buddhist or Christian or...you get my drift? But then it wasn't always related to the photograph above, so I wasn't quite sure what THAT was all about. In any case, I was particularly tickled by an old grandmother, who meticulously went from exhibit to exhibit, furiously scribbling down every single 'wise saying' under each exhibit on her little notebook. heh. So, you know what they say right? If you can't beat them, JOIN them.... *heeheeheee*














After a while of browsing, I finally found out what this photography exhibition was about...kinda.




You can see the small print right? That explained all the religious sayings at the bottom of each photo. Though I still don't really see how each saying linked to each photo. I went to google for this to find out more...





HARMONY OF MINDS - CELEBRATING INTERFAITH IN SINGAPORE



President S R Nathan today(that was 2nd Aug) launched a coffee table book titled Harmony of Minds–Celebrating Interfaith in Singapore. The book, the brainchild of the Photographic Society of Singapore, contains pictures accompanied by 100 religious sayings. The sayings are from the 10 major faiths in Singapore but the book is intended to promote universal values.

The book includes short write-ups and forewords by President S R Nathan, Mah Bow Tan and Mr David Tay. In his speech, Mr Mah believed that this book would touch the hearts of Singaporeans of all faiths, as we respect the teachings of our diverse religions. Mr Mah himself is one of the contributing photographers for the book.



The launch was accompanied by a photo exhibition at the HDB Hub Mall, which showcased all pictures and text from the book. This exhibition will continue till 14 August, after which, it will travel to the five CDC districts. Its first stop is the
North West District, at the Woodland Regional Library from 1 to 17 September. The book will be sold in major bookshops after the launch, retailing at $50.



Here are some of photos I liked...





And then these....I really had a good time staring at...found them so...fascinating....



I usually like scenery shots, either of the sky or of water. But for some reason unknown to me, I was the most fascinated with this next shot...

Wish I was there...in that picture...looking up at those trees.

It was a good outing for me that day =)

 
1 Comments:


At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

I have a feeling this same exhibition was held at HDB hub too...