29 August 2007
posted by j at 8/29/2007 11:30:00 PM

One of the worst things a student can tell his/her teacher is that he/she has learnt nothing from him/her. Even if it was said in jest.

It hit me hard when it came. And I didn't even realise how hard until hours later when I woke up from a deep sleep, that phrase suddenly rang in my head again, making me feel bad. I've taught this class for close to two years. That's a couple of hundred days and more. And they've learnt nothing? I feel so useless. It only goes to reinforce my wanting to quit. Now, there's really nothing left to hold me back. Especially not when I have students who spend half a lifetime either sitting out in the detention area or sleeping in class. I really don't have much motivation anymore, honestly. My efforts over the past 2 years have been negated.
 
1 Comments:


At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

See, the thing is, you and I know it's not true. You can never really always say what you learnt from someone, but you always do. Lack of appreciation from these young kiddos? Know that what you do far exceeds their childish understanding, and if you go on, they may just grow up to be adults who do.