07 September 2007
posted by j at 9/07/2007 07:39:00 PM

I wish I could have taken a snapshot of the moment. It's a pity the snapshots that we know are only capable of capturing sight, not the sound nor feelings of that moment.

It was very much a fleeting moment really. The drizzle had just moments ago progressed into a still harmless outpouring of the clouds, something short of a downpour. I was driving out of a multi-storey carpark, my car having its first taste of rain for the day. I remember turning to my left attracted by the sound of a car alarm going off. And then when I turned to my right afterward, I was suddenly conscious of the music that was on the radio, the rain, and the sight of a young couple strolling out of a building, sharing a jacket to shelter their heads from the heavy drizzle. In that split second, I suddenly missed the feeling of being young. It's not about the age, nor the creaky old bones and aching muscles. And trust me, most times (like 90% of the time) I'm quite glad I'm not some screamy ole teenager...most of them are so....squeaky...*heh*

It was a strange moment. It felt foreign. Maybe it was the boyband playing on the radio. (most of you would know I'm not one for boybands. Or any band for that matter. I am definitely for the 实力派歌手, definitely not the 偶像派歌手 ) Or maybe it was the rain, and/or the young couple who looked so carefree and unbothered about getting wet. Or maybe I was reminded of a time when I was like them, when rain didn't bother me and neither did getting wet. When I was free, without the burdens and expectations that adulthood brings. And in the next split second, I was abruptly and rudely brought down to earth, with the reminder of work and adulthood. And the reminder of how much my job has caused me to age over the years. Both physically and mentally. Perhaps even emotionally. And it makes me wonder if it's a good thing, and whether it was all worthwhile.